As a high school cheerleading coach, I wanted to make sure I was always prepared for whatever came my way. The responsibility of taking care of 30 high school girls was something I took seriously. Eventually, my coach binder grew to be too large and too heavy to carry around with me all the time. So, I left my huge coach binder in my car and only carried a smaller folder with 5 Things You Need to Have in Your Cheer Coach Binder. Over time, I realized there were 5 things I found were most important to have with me at all times.
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO HAVE INSIDE OF YOUR CHEER COACH BINDER:
- Full Team Roster. I used this for attendance and when needed for games/events.
- Contact Information for Parents/Guardians. This was mostly used if one of my athletes needed medical attention, if there were behavior issues at practice or a game, or if their rides were late.
- Emergency Medical Information for each athlete. Having this information for each athlete kept my mind at ease. This information included allergies, preferred hospitals and insurance information.
- Contact Information for Important School Administrators. If I needed anything that required an administrator (such as access to a building or in case of an emergency) I was happy to have a short list of key administrators on hand.
- Calendar. This was used as a reference for any key events I needed information about.
There were other things I would add to my folder throughout the season but they didn’t stay in there for the full season. For example, if my team was currently doing a fundraiser, I would have the important information I needed for that inside of my folder during that time. Once I was done tracking the fundraiser, I took that information out. I would do the same for events, clothing orders, etc.
Taking this approach really helped to lighten my load – literally!
I still felt organized, but didn’t feel weighed down by the heavy binder. I created our printable binder inserts to keep things consistent and organized. Plus, my girls weren’t making fun of the size of my binder any more – ha! Today, I carry around my Cheer Coach Planner which has space for me to fill in literally all of the important information I carried around as a new coach plus folders to add in other important information as I go. It’s lightweight so it still doesn’t weigh me down like my binder did – but functional and pretty.
No matter how you choose to organize your season, the best advice I have is to make sure you have the things you need to make you feel like you are as prepared as possible! & if you do want to carry your binder but want some tips on organizing it, head on over to our blog post about organizing your binder.
P.S. – want to be the first to know when we post new tips? Join our email list!Join our EMail List!